Monday, June 6, 2016

The Elders of a Community Are The Voice of God


There is an African Proverb that says, "The Elders of a Community Are The Voice of God."   I believe I've always known this but it's amazing how God has confirmed this so many times in the past  few days. During this last few days I was able to visit a senior neighbor in my childhood neighborhood who is just like a grandmother to me, sit at a baby shower for Baby Braylen in front of the Senior Mothers of our church and read a card confirming how wise our elders are.

A few years ago during our difficulty expanding our family, I was tossing and turning in my sleep and very restless. My thoughts kept going back to the promises of God and when He would answer our prayers. Suddenly I saw a silhouette appear in the bathroom door of our bedroom. For some reason it didn't startle me because I could see the shape of the silhouette and the smile on the face and recognized it to be the spirit of my deceased grandmother, Anna Mae Corbin. She was smiling so brightly and simply said to me, "I'm so proud of you. God is doing a magnificent work in you. You even became a Missionary. You are making me so proud. Look at my grandbaby girl.... My baby girl is going to have a baby girl! Isn't that something?!"  As fast as she appeared, she disappeared. That night I got the best sleep and rest that I had had in a long time. I will always remember this spiritual visit from my grandmother and will hold it dear to my heart.

This week I had the opportunity to visit my childhood neighborhood and literally received prayers and blessings from the eldest neighbor. She decreed and declared blessings over Baby Braylen's life and how brilliant she will be because God took extra time in forming her. I was so overwhelmed by the prayers that I had no doubt that the prophesy she spoke would come forth. There is just something about having God speak through the elders to you.

On this past Saturday our church family hosted a beautiful shower for Little Miss Braylen. (Baby Showers blog coming soon) In the midst of the fellowship and opening gifts I read a beautiful card that had these words:

"Back in the day the old folks would gather around a newborn. With hearts full of hope, they'd take turns holding the precious little one close. Then, softly, sweetly they'd whisper, "Are you the one? Are you the one to dream exciting new dreams, the one to soar to amazing new heights to live a life of limitless possibility?"

After I read the card, I looked up and realized that the organizer of the shower strategically had a reserve table for the Senior Mothers of the church that was placed directly in front of my table. Though these mothers didn't say much during the shower, they occasionally nodded and smiled as the younger ladies played games and enjoyed each other's fellowship.  Before the shower came to an end, I made sure to hug and thank the Senior Mothers for attending as well as thanking them in advance for their wisdom and knowledge I know they will share with me for Baby Braylen.

None of these events that transpired within days apart of each other were happenstance. I believe God, as He always does, was reminding me to not only honor my elders but to remember they have wisdom and can share so much with me. I'm sure Braylen will be resting in one of their arms during worship experiences really soon and being poured into spiritually. 

I'm so blessed to have a wonderful "village" that will help in the maturation process for Braylen and even my husband and I. I know there is a lot to learn and I, as a "new age" mom, will need to sit at their feet many days to learn. 





                   

               

No comments:

Post a Comment