Sunday, October 16, 2016

You Are Doing A Good Job



In the last 3 months, 12 days, 4 hours and 14 minutes of being a parent to this sweet little lady, I have learned a tremendous amount about her and myself. I can finally recognize what her different cries mean from when she's sleepy to it's time to up the dosage on the amount of milk she intakes in her bottle when she's not nursing or when she simply just needs some attention. This was definitely no easy feat. I finally know what the old folks mean when they said sometimes you had to drink your own tears.

There were times when I thought getting her on a daily schedule and routine wouldn't come to fruition but through consistent days and timing for feedings, naps, and play time, we are in a good place. (Thank you to my sister in luv Christine Washington for the advice with the Moms-On-Call schedule. This schedule gave me life! Literally!)

In the last 3 months, I've learned a lot through trial and error. I've mistaken an "I'm sleepy" cry for an "I'm hungry" cry and wasted 4 ounces of liquid gold and thought the world was slowly coming to an end.. and then I get a text from my a special sister friend that simply says...."You are doing a Good job!"  How in the world did she know I needed to hear that right then and there!?

There were days when sweet Braylen and I didn't see eye to eye on some things and it made for a long rough day that resulted in both of us laid out on the couch for a 4 hour nap. I recall days when she hated her car seat and my driving skills because she screamed loudly just as soon as we were midway to our destination and too far to go back home. This would send me into straight panic mode and I would have to do the "One Arm Mommy" dance to ensure I didn't wreck while she holds on to my pinky finger for comfort while I drove. I remember being at a red light and lady must have been watching and witnessing this moment and got my attention to say "You are doing a Good Job!"

My husband Jarrett often tells me  "I'm proud of you. You are doing a good job!" He's even learned to score extra brownie points when he arrives home after work with my favorite Oil of Olay Shea Butter body wash or a box of Ferrero Rocher candy.

Recently, I returned to work and I was undoubtedly ready to get back in the swing of things. I truly love Braylen and love the time we spent everyday but duty called. My mom has been doing an amazing job keeping her while I'm working.  The first day I picked her up from my mom's house my mom just looked at me and smiled. She then said six words that I've heard before but it meant so much more because it came from my mom... "You are doing a good job!" She then began to recount their day and all that Braylen did to make her smile. She went over the schedule I left for and told me how helpful it was or when she had to deviate from it. She expressed to me how much of a good baby she was and how much joy she gets spending time with Braylen and then she said those words again..."You are doing a good job!"  She rambled on a little more about some things they did and how she was ready for the next day with her Grand Baby Girl. I honestly couldn't hear much of what my mom was talking about at this point. My heart was just so filled because my mom, my first Wonder Woman, and amazing example of a Christian woman told me how proud of me she was and that I was doing a good job! I think my chest stuck out so proudly beaming with pride!

Motherhood is not for the faint at heart. It will test your faith, your patience and your sanity but it has been the best 3 months, 12 days, 5 hours and 6 minutes of my life.  I love the smiles Braylen gives me when she sees me in the mornings or the content face she has when she's asleep and holds my hands. In her own way, my sweet angel is telling me, "You are doing a good job!"




I've learned during this I can not allow anyone to question how I'm raising my child because "I'm doing a GOOD job!"  So when you see a mom in the hustle and bustle of your day, take the time to stop them and simply say, "You are doing a good job!"



Scripture: Nehemiah 6--- I'm doing a Good work
Song: I Feel Good by James Brown 

No comments:

Post a Comment